Wednesday 2 November 2011

Casting









A couple of weeks ago I started doing some casts to develop the 'fragments' we are expected to have as a result of the annex project. I start to look at the doorhandles in the flat- the keys to enter the group space of the corridor. I was looking at ways of making it clear that people were free to enter each others rooms. So I asked Claudia to print her hand grip around my door handle using plasticine- then I cast the handle. I used alginate- which dentists use to take casts of people's teeth, so it smells minty. Its a natural seaweedy formula which picks up alot of detail. Then I used plaster in the alginate cast.
It took two attempts to get it right, but I'm happy with how it went. It was a bit scary when my door lock stopped working though. I think alginate got into the keyhole- but everything is fine and dandy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment