Monday 10 October 2011

More shenanigans in the corridor

.... and more proof that I have the most tolerant flatmates in uni history.
This evening I was thinking of more way to annex the corridor in our flat. I want to make it a part of the flat, not just something we pass through from the front door to our rooms or the kitchen. I noticed the other day that we all prop our doors open when we're feeling sociable, so as to show people are welcome to wonder in and out. What I like is the different ways we all prop the heavy fire doors open. A few of us use converse trainers- the gap between the door and the floor is quite wide and converse seem quite good. I used a book at first until the spine looked a bit knackered. But Megan uses her clarinet and then a pair of trainers. I thought of making a group door stop that could open all our doors at the same time and create one big sociable space.

As a quick experiment this evening I tried to create a makeshift canopy/den between Laura and Thom's rooms. Their doors are open almost all the time so i wanted to create a cosy little space for them to meet under- sort of like when your a kid . Me and Jess (my sister) used to sit under a blanket on the sofa and pretend the sofa could fly anywhere (but that's perhaps a bit off the point).









I tied thread between they're rooms, using their door handles, chairs and the radiator to wind the thread around. I wanted some more sturdy string to make sure the support didn't buckle or snap, but I don't have any at the mo. So I just had to be very very careful.

Here's a film of when I got them to open and close their doors- in turn destroying the makeshift annex. Which I quite liked. The annex only exists when they want it to- when they want to come out and use the corridor space.

1 comment:

  1. love the shenanigans in the corridor Ellie, spoopky! CS xxx

    ReplyDelete